Subject: Unknown bug
Location: North Alabama
December 5, 2013 9:35 am
Hello, I found two of these bugs in my house, 11/2013, in north alabama. Our pest control company did not know what the bugs are. They sprayed and I have not seen anymore. Something bit me Sunday night on my finger (picture attached) while I was sleeping. It woke me up hurting and itching, I never saw what had bitten me. It does not hurt or itch now, but I still have the red blister that has a tiny small white spot in the middle of the blister. Please help if possible !!!! Thank you, Patty
Signature: Patty

Assassin Bug Nymphs

Assassin Bug Nymphs

Hi Patty,
These are Assassin Bug nymphs, probably in the genus
Zelus, and they might be responsible for the bite you received.  Though painful, the bite is not considered dangerous.

Bite, possibly from Assassin Bug

Bite, possibly from Assassin Bug

Thank you for the quick response. It is exactly what it was.  I feel a little bit better, but i am still terrified. The two I found, I know are dead, but I never saw the one that bit me and am still not sleeping good. Is it possible that our house could get infested with these creatures? If possible how do we get rid of them?     Thank you so much, Patty Sandy

Hi again Patty,
Assassin Bugs are outdoor creatures that do not infest homes.  We are not sure why you have so many indoors.

Location: Alabama