Subject: grasshopper
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico
Hi!
Any information you can give me would be really appreciated and help me with my project of gathering words in the Zapotec language.
The following pictures were taken in the town of San Cristobal Amatlan, Oaxaca, Mexico on December 7, 2011. The grasshopper body measures about 1.5 centimeters, the back legs are maybe 2 (centimeters or longer). The back is brown, the ovipositor green striped with black. Legs are blue, orange, and yellow. The face and antenae are blue, eyes are brown. Very pretty!
Signature: Chivis

Grasshopper Nymph

Grasshopper Nymph

Hi Chivis,
Based on the size of this individual and its lack of wings, we believe this is a nymph.  What you are calling its striped ovipositor is actually its abdomen.  Sadly, we did not find any images in our web searching that match your individual, however we did find many photos of Chapulines, Grasshoppers that are roasted and prepared as food in Oaxaca, Mexico.  We don’t normally link to Wikipedia, but in searching for a link on Chapulines, our other numerous choices were blogs, many of which might not be reliable, so we made an exception.  We don’t believe your Grasshopper is the species that is eaten, but there may be numerous species that are eaten.  We looked through many images of living Grasshoppers from Mexico, and we cannot provide an identification for you.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck.

Grasshopper from Oaxaca

Grasshopper from Oaxaca

What is the Zapotec word for Grasshopper?  Is there a verbal distinction between the living Grasshopper and the roasted treat?  Though we are not certain if your species is one of the Grasshoppers popularly consumed in Oaxaca, we suspect it is probably edible and we are tagging it as an Edible Insect.

Grasshopper from Oaxaca

Grasshopper from Oaxaca

Thank you for trying! I guess I’ll have to just say “type of grasshopper”. In this particular Zapotec there are a number of words indicating the particular kind of grasshopper: xench, kik, mbeso, ngwxiix, ngwley yer, ngwley nil, yeramas, ngsok, mbertang, mberzeyy. The one I asked you about is ngwley nil. I don’t know if this particular type is edible or not. I’ll have to ask when I get a chance. Some people in the Amatlan area do eat certain grasshoppers but it isn’t common.
Thanks for setting me straight regarding the abdomen. Ha ha. Obviously, I’m not very good when it comes to insects.
Chivis

Location: Oaxaca, Mexico

2 Responses to Unknown Grasshopper from Oaxaca

1. Florian says:

I don’t now the name of the grasshopper, but I’ve recently seen the same one in Monte Alban, close to Oaxaca, Mexico. A beauty!
    Cheers, Florian

Link to the picture