Subject: What kind of bug is this?
Location: Yakima, WA
December 3, 2013 9:45 am
Hey bugman! What a great resource your website is. Thanks for doing this!
Yesterday I woke up to hundreds of these little bugs all over my kitchen. I killed them with RAID and they haven’t come back (yet), but I’d like to know what they are.
I only found them in the kitchen and they don’t seem to be attracted to food. I found them near baseboards, on the counter, under small appliances, even behind pictures on my wall!
I guess they look like tiny ants, but I’m not sure.
Thanks for the help!
Signature: Sam from Yakima

Argentine Ant

Possibly Argentine Ant

Dear Sam,
This is an ant, and its photo and your description remind us of the vile, invasive exotic species, the Argentine Ant, however, to the best of our knowledge, the Argentine Ant has not been introduced to Washington State.

ha. Okay, an ant it is. Thanks!
Do you have a favorite method to eradicate them?  It seems Google loves the 1/2 borax and 1/2 powered sugar method. Would you agree?
Sam

Hi Sam,
Normally we don’t offer extermination advice, but in the case of Argentine Ants, the gloves are off.  We had not heard of mixing borax with powdered sugar, but the sugar would attract the ants and the borax would desicate them.  It might work.  We may give it a try.  The secret to controlling the Argentine Ants is to get to the queen.  Mother Nature Network recommends borax and sugar.

Thanks for forwarding me that link on the Mother Nature Network. Good stuff.
You’ve got me a bit scared about these Argentine Ants. They’re that bad, eh?
By the way, I came across this link http://www.epestsupply.com/argentine-ants.php#.Up9XGMR2NcY that shows Argentine Ants have been found in Central Washington. Guess where in Washington State I live? J
Thanks again!
Sam

Nice link.  Thanks Sam.

Location: Yakima, Washington