Subject: cateplillar with eyes to scare predators?
Location: gurgaon,india
December 1, 2013 8:41 am
We found this caterpillar in our garden- Gurgaon, India…and it looked beautiful and scary at first sight!!if there is one, does it mean there will be others too in our garden? in fact we saw another green with black strips ( pic-3) caterpillars in our garden!!
Our 8 year old daughter- Arushi- clicked these pictures….and we are very keen to find out more about them( both caterpillars )
Signature: Arushi

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Arushi,
Do you have any oleander growing in your garden?  This is a common shrub planted in many gardens that have a climate without low or freezing winter temperatures.  It is the caterpillar of the Oleander Hawkmoth,
Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii, and you are absolutely correct about the eyespots being effective deterrents against predation, especially from birds.  We are creating two distinct postings for your caterpillars so that categorization will be simplified.

Location: Gurgaon, India

One Response to Oleander Hawkmoth Caterpillar from India

1. Anton says:

I have seen such Caterpillars on my oleanders in Novalja, island of Pag, Croatia first time this summer! On the plants they are green, one I found on soil, was brown.