Subject: bug/larvae attaking and eating millipede
Location: Tehachapi CA
Hi there bugman, last night I was out letting my dog go to the bathroom when he started rubbing on the ground. When I checked what he was rubbing against, I found a millipede being attcked or grabbed by some type of larvae. I caught the 2 animals and now the millipede is dead with its head off and the larvae eating away at it. The larvae looks segmented with six legs, black in color with the sides a dark brown. I have never seen this before so I wanted to know what it was. The third picture is showing the bug eating the millipede inside the head.
Signature: Angel

Glowworm (below) will Millipede Prey

Glowworm (below) will Millipede Prey

Dear Angel,
If you checked out this dramatic occurrence in darkness, you might have noticed the predatory larva glowing, because it is a Glowworm.  Glowworms prey upon Millipedes and we have nice documentation on our site of an eastern Glowworm eating a Millipede.  Your species if probably a Western Banded Glowworm
Zarhipis integripennis, and you may verify its identity on BugGuide.

Glowworm Eats Millipede

Glowworm Eats Millipede

Thank you very much, Daniel Marlos. What is interesting is that I checked the bug guide and it says that these bugs are active during Jan-Feb, but it is late November and getting really cold. Well anyway, thanks again for your help.

Location: Tehachapi, California

One Response to Glowworm eats Millipede

1. […] The caterpillar might be a Lappet Moth Caterpillar in the family Lasiocampidae, though we were unable to locate a matching image on ISpot.  The Millipede might have fallen prey to Millipede Assassin Bugs or a Glowworm. […]