Subject: What is this
Location: Baltimore, MD
I am finding this spider/bug daily in my home. I would like to know what it is? If it is dangerous to my family? And how do I rid my home of it?
Signature: F Johnson

Camel Cricket

Camel Cricket

Dear F Johnson,
This is a Camel Cricket, and they are generally found in damp, dark places like basements where they feed on a variety of organic matter including paper and fabric.  Though they may become a nuisance if they are plentiful, they are benign creatures that will not pose any danger to your family.  According to BugGuide:  “If these occur in a house the best treatment is to remove them and their breeding habitat – cool moist dark places such as piles of logs or boards in basements. A clean dry home will not be a welcoming place for these guys. Although they are scary-looking they are basically harmless to humans, except perhaps for minor damage to stored items, and are easily discouraged by eliminating the dark damp habitat they prefer.”  With ocean levels rising due to global warming, inhabitants of coastal cities might find that it is getting increasingly difficult to keep basements from being overly damp, thus contributing to a rise in the populations of creatures that inhabit damp, dark environments.

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

One Response to Camel Cricket

1. CP says:

Sea level rise will make basements more damp? On what planet? Are your basements at or below sea level? They would already be damp. Anything else isn’t going to be from sea level rise. It will be from shoddy home maintenance and allowing water to collect and pool. I live on the coast. 15 feet ASL. Nobody in their right mind would have a basement right at sea level. It would be flooded all the time.