Subject: Bug Indetification
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
November 25, 2013 4:23 am
Hello! Recently I shot a bug that I have never seen before on my mobile phone.
Please help me to identify its type.
Thank you.
Signature: Sherzod Uuldashev

Unknown Longicorn

City Longhorned Beetle

Hello Sherzod,
We are unable at this time to provide you with a species identification, but we can assure you that the family Cerambycidae is correct for this unknown Longicorn beetle.

Hello Mr Daniel !
Thank you very much for your useful information.
And good luck in all your doings.
Sincerely
Sherzod YULDASHEV

Hi Daniel and Sherzod:
It looks like a City Longhorn Beetle, Aeolesthes sarta (Cerambycidae: Cerambycinae: Cerambycini). Other common English names include Uzbek Longhorn Beetle and Sart Longhorn Beetle. This beetle appears to be on everyone’s radar as a potentially serious invasive threat to a wide variety of tree species. The European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization has posted an informative data sheet, as has the Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey (CAPS), in conjunction with Purdue University. The latter document provides a map that illustrates the predicted expansion of this beetle throughout most of Europe in response to climate change. According to the Ohio Department of Agriculture: “Aeolesthes sarta is known from India (Western Himalayas), Pakistan (north), Afghanistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan (south), in mountainous areas up to an altitude of 2000 m. The region of origin of this insect is believed to be Pakistan and Western India. It has spread west into Afghanistan and Iran and north into the Central Asian countries where it was first found in the 1920s. This insect continues to increase its range in the Central Asian countries (Orlinski et al. 1991). It is not known to occur in North America but it has a high potential for establishment here due to climate and host availability.”  Regards.  Karl

Thank you Mr. Karl for your time spent on this Bug. It was very informative.
Sincerely
Sherzod YULDASHEV

Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan