Subject: Caterpillar ID
Location: Lalibela, Ethiopia (NW)
November 24, 2013 7:24 am
Found this beauty while on a birding trip to Ethiopia, specifically, in a field outside the town of Lalibela, NW ETH This last month, Oct., ’13. Elevation ca. 5-6,000’
Can you tell me what it is?? I can’t seem to get it to paste into your image spots below (other than to give address on my computer, which is no help to you), so I uploaded it to a Picasa Web Album and the following address should get you to it. I’m anxious to know and to send the ID info to my local guide there, who is working on bird and insect ID.
Signature: Romney Bathurst

Hornworm from Ethiopia

Hornworm from Ethiopia

Dear Romney,
This is a Hornworm, a caterpillar of a Sphinx Moth in the family Sphingidae, and we will try to identify the species later today.  It reminds us of caterpillars in the genus
Hyles.

Wow, that was fast!!!  Thanks so much – will hold off sending info to Ethiopia to see if you can come up with anything more.  Regardless, I do so appreciate your help!  Isn’t it amazing how such gorgeous caterpillars often turn into the most drab moths.  On the other hand, of course, this guy blends very, very well with his background – once we put him down in a safe place, we could hardly find him again!

Location: Lalibela, Ethiopia