Subject: creepy bug
Location: santa barbara
I found this bug in my kitchen. I live in Santa Barbara Caliornia. Any idea on the type of bug this is?
Signature: LG

Earwig

Earwig

Dear LG,
This is an Earwig, and judging by the size of the cerci or pincers, this is a male.  Earwigs are basically harmless, though when they are numerous, they can do some damage in the garden, eating such things as rose buds.  According to BugGuide:  “Earwigs are sensitive to heat and dryness, so they usually hide in cool, dark places during the day and come out at night.  Some species hide mostly under leaves, rocks and other debris, while others hide under the bark of trees. An important habitat in the deserts of the southwest US is inside rotting cactus- one of the few places with constant moisture even in the driest parts of the year.  Winged species are often attracted to light at night.”  The name Earwig is allegedly derived from the Anglo-Saxon word earwicga, which according to Charles Hogue in Insects of the Los Angeles Basin, refers to the notion that the Anglo-Saxons slept in sod huts with straw mattresses and “the warm and tight ear opening of a slumbering person might well have been a snug hiding place for these crevice-loving creatures.”

Location: Santa Barbara, California

One Response to Earwig

1. Nelia M. Fernandez says:

Well I found one and I live in NC. Never encountered one before thank you for the info…