Subject: Southern Dogface Butterfly?
Location: Coryell County, Texas
Here is a beautiful butterfly, and I think it might be a Southern Dogface Butterfly. You identified one for me last spring, thank you!
I took photo after photo, trying to get an open-winged shot. I can’t tell you how many photos I took of the brick wall, the house eaves, the fence, the mulch, the grass and the flowers (without capturing the elusive flying Dogface), when I finally got a decent shot. Hooray! It’s blurry but distinguishable.
This butterfly stayed near the garden for the half-hour I was there. After feeding, the clever creature rested on the crepe myrtle leaves, only resting on the yellow leaves, never the green leaves. Camouflage?
It fluttered around other yellow butterflies its size that visited the garden, but I don’t know if it was guarding or courting. Once, three butterflies were circling each other. The other two flew off after feeding briefly.
I have photos of one of the other butterflies if you are interested. It may be a female Southern Dogface, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure it’s a Sulphur in any case.
Thank you for all of your help!
Thank you!
Signature: Ellen

Southern Dogface

Southern Dogface

Hi Ellen,
We got a bit of a chuckle at your attempt to photograph this Southern Dogface Butterfly,
Zerene cesonia.  We went through a similar attempt to capture a good photograph of a Western Tiger Swallowtail in our our garden several years ago.  One of the beauties of digital photography over traditional analog photography is that it is much easier to keep shooting and shooting until you get a decent image.  As educators, we still believe that a firm foundation in analog photography makes better photographers despite the fact that they will not be working in analog professionally.  We are very pressed for time due to work obligations, and though you sent several submissions our way, we might not get them all posted this morning.

Southern Dogface

Southern Dogface

Location: Coryell County, Texas