Subject: What Is It?
Location: Goderich, Ontario, Canada
November 18, 2013 8:52 am
I found this little one on the side of the house. It was about 1 cm long.
Signature: Dale

Flightless Ichneumon: Gelis species

Flightless Ichneumon: Gelis species

Dear Dale,
We were immediately excited upon viewing your photo.  We knew that though this looked like an ant, it is more likely a parasitic wasp and judging by the ovipositor, that the individual is female.  We quickly discovered the genus
Gelis on BugGuide where we found this matching photo.  According to BugGuide:  “Many species of Gelis are wingless. Habits are diverse. Many are external parasites of Lepidoptera in cocoons, others are parasitic on Symphyta, spiders, Diptera larvae and pupae, or wood-boring Coleoptera larvae. Many are Hyperparasites.”   This is news to us as we did not realize there were wingless Ichneumons.

Location: Goderich, Ontario, Canada

One Response to Flightless Ichneumon from Canada: Gelis species

1. Bryan says:

Okay…I found one that looks pretty much like this and similar to another photo…flightless ichneumon. I found him in my house, in Coeur d’Alene Idaho. Typically I kill bugs once they enter my home, but I’m wondering if he might be beneficial outside somewhere…in a fruit tree, near the ant hill, or in the lawn or raspberry garden…?
    Any suggestions what to do with him?