Subject: strange
Location: minneapolis, minnesota
hello i just saw this interesting looking bug on the wall under my dining room window, what is it? As I got closer, it escaped under the window frame.
Sorry for the poor quality photo, i had to use the flash.
Signature: daniel

Masked Hunter

Masked Hunter

Masked Hunter

hello and thank you  the answer. should i do anything about it? i do not like to kill bugs, i usually just kick them out of the house.

Hi again Daniel,
We just provided a short response yesterday as we had personal things we needed to accomplish, and alas, there is never enough time in the day to do everything that needs to get done.  This immature Masked Hunter gets its name because the exoskeleton is sticky and dust and debris adheres to the insects body, effectively camouflaging it in its surroundings.  Masked Hunters are predatory Assassin Bugs and they are also commonly called Bed Bug Hunters because they prey upon that nuisance that has been in the news so much in recent years.  At this time of year in Minnesota, we would encourage you to allow any Masked Hunters you encounter to continue to live indoors where they will prey upon unwanted visitors. Like many other Assassin Bugs, Masked Hunters are capable of biting, so we would encourage you not to try to handle them.  See BugGuide for additional information on Masked Hunters.

Hello Daniel and thank you very much again for your time. After your initial email I started reading about this interesting Masked Hunter and I’m starting to like this fellow. I thought about the time of the year and not putting it in the garage, so I’ll leave it inside. My main concern was just safety, if the bug poses no danger to me or my cats, or the structural integrity of the house, I have no problem seeing him on the wall every now and then. Like I said, I really do not like eliminating bugs for no reason, I, in fact, particularly dislike when people kill a bug just out of habit, some people are so stupid that they even do it outside, on their porch, in their driveway, in their yard, I find that behavior obtuse and ignorant.
thank you and congratulation on your awesome site.
Daniel

Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota