Subject: bee wasp or what?
Location: Chiriqui province Panama
November 15, 2013 5:04 am
Sorry for the quality of the photo but this guy was way up in a tree. He was a bright orange with blue lines along the wings. Had the general features of a wasp type bug.
Signature: Linda

Possibly Diurnal Arctiid Moth

Possibly Diurnal Arctiid Moth

Dear Linda,
We believe this might be a Diurnal Moth in the subfamily Arctiinae.  Many members of this group, especially those in the subtribe Euchromiina (see BugGuide), are diurnal and they mimic wasps.  As you indicated, the quality, and more importantly the size of your image, is not ideal for identification purposes.  We will contact our friend Julian Donahue who is an expert on Arctiids and who has spent much time in nearby Costa Rica, because he may be able to help with a more definite identification.

Possibly Diurnal Tiger Moth

Possibly Diurnal Tiger Moth

Thank you for your help. After looking at images of Arctiids on the internet I do see that it is what I have. I’ll keep trying to get a better photo. Hopefully he doesn’t spend all of his time way up in trees.
Linda

Julian Donahue provides and ID
November 18, 2013
Yep, it’s an arctiid: Symphlebia hyalina (Rothschild), most likely subspecies amaculata (Rothschild), whose type locality is Colombia.
Julian

Ed. NOte:  See Bold Systems.

Location: Chiriqui, Panama

2 Responses to Possibly Diurnal Tiger Moth from Panama

1. Looks to me like it’s related to Idalus spp., but arctiines taxonomy is pretty hard.