Subject: What is this beetle?
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
November 13, 2013 3:48 am
I have noticed these beetles around my house in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Sometimes there are dozens at a time, and they only appear at night . I was thinking it was a Rhipiceridae, but many of the Rhipiceridae in Australia seem to be of the black colouring. I have not been able to find any photos online that look very similar, and those that do are apparently not found in Australia…
Signature: Josh

Cane Grub or Brown Cockchafer

Cane Grub or Brown Cockchafer

Hi Josh,
Your beetle is a Scarab and we believe it might be a Cane Grub or Brown Cockchafer,
Rhopaea magnicornis, based on images posted to the Brisbane Insect website.  Alas, none of those photos show the Flabellate Antennae illustrated in your photo.  There are photos of the head and other details of a mounted specimen available on PaDil Australian Biosecurity.  That site also contains a list of similar looking species.  According to Oz Animals:  “The Brown Cockchafer is a stocky reddish-brown beetle with a hairy body. The antennae are short and fan-shaped. It is often found flying towards house lights in late spring and summer.”

Location: Brisbane, Australia