Subject: Looks like tree moss
Location: NE FL
This bug is about 1/4” across and bites!
Signature: Curious

Camouflaged Lacewing Larva

Camouflaged Lacewing Larva

Dear Curious,
On the lower portion of one of your somewhat blurry images, it is possible to make out the mandibles of the insect that created this elaborate protective covering from debris.  This is a camouflaged Lacewing Larva, and we have received numerous reports of people being bitten by Lacewings and Lacewing Larvae.  Both adults and larvae are predatory and they are important natural predators of Aphids and other plant pests.  Lacewing Larvae are called Aphid Wolves and Green Lacewings are sometimes called Goldeneyes.  

Location: Florida

7 Responses to Camouflaged Lacewing Larva

1. Joy says:

i think I saw one this morning! Is there a way for me to post a picture so you can determine if it is the same thing?

2. Natalie Snow says:

I got bite twice on my toe by one of these things it feels like a fire ant bite, I have seen 2 so far here, my bite has a clear watery substance coming out of the bites are they poisonous to humans
    I just moved to Sulphur Louisiana

Though there might be a reaction to the bites, to the best of our knowledge, the bite of a Lacewing Larva is not poisonous.

3. Wayne says:

Saw one of these shuffling along on a rustic table next to two moss covered trees that our deck is built around. This is in Wilmington NC, about 2 blocks from the Cape Fear river. We are in a area which is the border between tropical and artic (zone 8?) Lots of weird bugs and plants such as Venus Fly Traps. Love your site!

4. Sammye Jacobs says:

Thank you for this information! I too have been bitten and it felt like fire! I was bitten yesterday (June24) and this bite is itchy and I have a slight feverish lump under the bite mark. It acts like that of a wasp or bee sting. Ouch! I’ve been watching it closely and so far no change. Just itchy.