Subject: identify this bug
Location: LosAngeles County. RedondoBeach, Ca. North America.
November 12, 2013 2:06 am
Monday November 11-2013 around 10:30 pm i found this bug on the sidewalk in front of my house in Redondo Beach, Ca. 1 mile inland from the Pacific Ocean, Torrance Beach or Redondo Beach side to be exact. I have taken a picture of it next to my lighter which is 3 inches in length 1 inch wide & on its side it’s 3/8ths inch high off the ground.
I believe the picture will tell you as much as i can about its color and characteristics.
Please let me know if its a new discovery soon. or what it is exactly.
Thank You Much.
Signature: Cory Ivie

Potato Bug

Potato Bug

Hi Cory,
You must be new to Southern California.  This is a Jerusalem Cricket or Potato Bug, and it is probably one of the most iconic Southern California insects, and definitely one of our more common identification requests.  Because of their rather humanoid appearance, Potato Bugs have many legends and superstitions surrounding them.  They are subterranean dwellers that are rarely seen during the warm summer months, but once the weather begins to cool and the rains arrive, they come to the surface more readily.

Location: Redondo Beach, California