Subject: Caterpillar ID
Location: York Region Forest, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Hello Bugman,
I would like to get some info on this caterpillar.
It was found in York Region forest, just half hours drive of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
It was searching on old decaying tree trunks in the parking lot when I first spied it, during the middle of October 2013. A few days later, I found a second one (may be same one) in the same location.
I took both photos, of which you may use for display purposes.
I have been searching many butterfly and moth categories, without any luck in naming it. Maybe (I’m thinking) its a sawfly? Its about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length.
I have just started a website and trying to name the species that I have included on it.
Thanks for any info…
Brian

Pine Sawfly Larva

Pine Sawfly Larva

Dear Brian,
Just because it looks like a caterpillar and acts like a caterpillar, does not necessarily mean it is a caterpillar.  You are correct that this is a Sawfly Larva.  It is an Introduced Pine Sawfly Larva,
Diprion similis, and according to BugGuide, it is an adventive species introduced from Europe.  BugGuide also notes:  “Although a serious pest at times, it normally stunts rather than kills its hosts. It can be a more serious problem with young trees and in cases such as Christmas trees where appearance is important. It has natural enemies and diseases, so large outbreaks are only intermittently seen.”

Introduced Pine Sawfly Larva

Introduced Pine Sawfly Larva

Many thanks for your reply -to my request asking for identification,
regarding the bug that I had found – most informative. No wonder many of
the conifer trees in that area that it was found in, had issues with their
foliage etc.
Brian

Location: Newmarket, Ontario, Canada