Subject: Beautiful Spider
Location: St. George Utah
My Neighbor found this Spider on the outside wall of her home by their door and brought is over to out house in a container. she said that she was a Wood spider but I am not sure if she is. I have a hobby of photographing and I took quite a few pictures of her. my Neighbor Said that she was going to have some babies since she was fairly large But it is normal for spiders to be large. I would love to know what kind she is. thank you for your time!
I love all nature, bugs, animals, insect’s and so on.
Thank you.
Signature: Genevieve

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Dear Genevieve,
This is a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider in the genus
Olios.  Spiders in this family do not build webs to snare prey, but rather hunt for prey during nocturnal rambles.

Giant Crab Spider

Giant Crab Spider

We believe it is entirely possible that this individual will lay eggs soon.

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Location: St George, Utah

5 Responses to Huntsman Spider

1. Genevieve says:

Thank you so much Daniel!
    I Appreciate it.

2. Genevieve says:

Do you know if she is poisonous?

To the best of our knowledge, the North American Huntsman Spiders are not considered to be dangerous or aggressive, but rather shy and retiring. They do have venom, but in the rare situation where one might get bitten, the bite effects are mild and quickly vanish.

3. Genevieve says:

sadly this beautiful spider passed on during the night after we found it due to low temperatures