Subject: Daniel – Neoscona crucifera?
Location: Hawthorne, CA
October 26, 2013 8:49 am
Can you confirm my tentative id of this happy spider?
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Possibly Barn Spider

Possibly Barn Spider

Hi Anna,
This might be a Barn Spider,
Neoscona crucifera, but we are not certain.  Except for Orbweavers in the genus Argiope, and certain species in the genus Araneus, we do not feel confident enough to identify most Orbweavers to the species level.  According to BugGuide:  “Can usually be distinguished from Neoscona domiciliorum by rusty red color and the lack of pattern on the abdomen” and “N. crucifera & N. domiciliorum build thier webs at dusk and then take the webs back down around dawn.”  If the webs are removed during the day, it is a good indication that this is a Barn Spider.  It appears that your photos were taken during the day, which would indicate this is most likely not a Barn Spider.  We will be postdating your submission to go live during a brief absence from the office in early November.

Possibly Barn Spider

Possibly Barn Spider

The fact that this spider was on the web during the day confused me also, as I am aware that they normally do their thing at night.  For some reason, there she was during the day and only on that day.  It is very strange.  She had two or three bees to work on, so maybe that is why she was still out in the open?
Anna

Location: Hawthorne, CA

One Response to Possibly Barn Spider

1. Koos says:

What is all this about urban legends? Is it really that hard to believe that you could possibly consume 4 spiders in your whole entire lifetime while you’re asleep? That’s possibly over 90 years. Just because it’s not factual doesn’t mean it’s not possible.