Subject: Polyphemus Moth
Location: NE Ohio
I think this is a Polyphemus Moth? If not, I would really like to know!
Signature: Ed

Modest Sphinx

Modest Sphinx

Hi Ed,
This is not a Polyphemus Moth.  It is a Modest Sphinx or Poplar Sphinx,
Pachysphinx modesta, and this sighting seems quite late in the year.  You can find more information on the Modest Sphinx on the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  We will be postdating your submission to go live during our absence from the office in early November.

Thank you very much for your identification. The pictures were actually taken ‎Friday, ‎July ‎29, ‎2011. I have been meaning to post them, but I am sure that you understand what time constraints can lead to! I don’t remember if I uploaded all 3 pictures that I took, so I will include them with this reply. Feel free to use them as you wish, just a minor acknowledgment would be appreciated. Thank you again for your time.
Edward Grether

Thank you Edward.  The photos were so similar that we felt we only needed to post the best with a bit of color correction.

Location: Ohio