Subject: Black bug
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
October 27, 2013 4:53 am
These black and brown bugs attack only yellow and orange flowers. They bury themselves in the centre of the flower and kill off the plant. It is very rapid and they only come in summer. They have long back legs which stick out of the flower. They have killed off my entire daisy bush in about a week, and killed all my merigolds last year.
Signature: Lyndi

Flower Scarabs

Monkey Beetles

Dear Lyndi,
We believe these are Flower Scarabs and they look similar to these Monkey Beetles we posted several years ago.  We are postdating your submission to go live in several days while we are away from the office.

Location: Cape Town, South Africa

3 Responses to Monkey Beetles from South Africa

1. rjpretor says:

Hi – these are monkey beetles of the tribe Hopliini. Unfortunately, species identification will be very hard as not much work has been done on the taxonomy of these beetles.

2. Annette says:

I have the same problem. Are there treatments for these bugs?!?!
    Why do they destroy the plant when all they should be doing is polonate it? ?