Subject: Is this a Katydid
Location: Languedoc, South France
October 28, 2013 10:20 am
I used to come across a similar looking insect when I lived in South Africa that we called a Katydid. Saw this one recently in the South of France and wondered if it was the same species
Signature: Curious

Saddle Backed Bush Cricket

Saddle-Backed Bushcricket

Dear Curious,
You are correct.  This is a Katydid.  It appears to be a Saddle-Backed Bushcricket,
Ephippiger ephippiger, and you may verify our identification on Orthoptera Species File.  According to Piotr Naskrecki, a Katydid expert, there are ” two or three very similar species are also known from Provence.”  What you saw in South Africa was most likely a distant relative.

Thanks for your reply, I wonder if it’s possible that when vines were taken out by French immigrants in the late 15th century the insects could have gone with the cuttings and what we saw in South Africa was possibly directly related to the insects from here, albeit be it a few generations later.

Location: Languedoc, France

One Response to Saddle-Backed Bushcricket from France

1. Lisa says:

Fascinating creatures.