Subject: Spider question again
Location: Gunung Manglayang, West Java, Indonesia
Hello Daniel,
I got a question about a spider again, and I only got one decent photo of it.
In term of size… it’s a relatively small spider about 1 to 1,5 cm toe to toe, and I found it hide behind a banana leave.
Hope that whatsthatbug could help identifying this guy 🙂
Signature: Mohamad Idham Iskandar

Unknown Spider from Indonesia

Spiny Theridiid Spider from Indonesia

Hi Mohamad,
We are sorry about the delay.  We have been very busy and we somehow overlooked your request.  We do not recognize your spider, but we will post the image and hopefully one of our readers will write in with an identification.

Karl provides a classification
Hi Daniel and Mohamad:
I believe this is a comb-footed spider (Theridiidae), also known as tangle-web or cobweb spiders. As far as I can tell, the black blade-like hairs at the end of the abdomen are characteristic of two genera, Chrysso and Meotipa. Christa l. Deeleman-Reinhold refers to them as spiny theridiids. Unfortunately, that is as far as I could get, as I could find no online photos or descriptions that pointed me to any particular genus or species. Nicky Bay Photography has posted numerous excellent images from Singapore that come close, most identified as Chrysso sp. or just Theridiidae. You can click here or here to check out two good examples. Project Noah also provides an image of a similar spider from India that it identifies as Chrysso sp. Regards.  Karl

Thanks so much for doing this intensive research Karl.

Wow thanks a lot Daniel and Karl for the clue…, first time seeing this spider and for me that is really interesting.