Subject: green caterpillar
Location: 30 miles from charlottesville Va in mountains
Need id. Cat on an aster in blue ridge mountains.. oct. 18 . Near charlottesville
VA. Cant find name in wagners or on web sites. Thx
Signature: nancy n

Unknown Caterpillar

Hitched Arches Caterpillar

Hi Nancy,
Since you indicated this caterpillar was feeding on Aster, we checked the species of Hooded Owlet Moths in the genus
Cucullia that are posted to BugGuide, but we could not find a match.  We hope one of our readers can assist in this identification.  Are you certain this is an aster?  There appear to bee seed pods on the plant and asters do not have seed pods.

Unknown Caterpillar

Hitched Arches Caterpillar

I often take cat off of host plant to get picture and then return it. We found 6 of them on six different aster plants tho.  I dont know which aster variety.  Keep looking please.  Ive looked at all my resources. N

IM SENDING A FEW MORE PICS OF MY MYSTERY ASTER MOUNTAIN CATERPILLAR….NANCY  NEWMAN

Unknown Caterpillar on Aster

Melanchra adjuncta Caterpillar on Aster

Hi again Nancy,
We have added your additional photos to the posting.

Unknown Caterpillar on Aster

Hitched Arches Caterpillar on Aster

Hitched Arches identification courtesy of a comment by Frankie
Thanks Frankie,
You are absolutely right. The Hitched Arches is the perfect match based on the photos posted to BugGuide. We are going to update the posting thanks to your carefully researched comment.

Thanks to all of you who identified the Hitched Arches caterpillar for me.   What an amazing job you do!
N Newman
Nnature642

Location: Charlottesville, Virginia

2 Responses to Hitched Arches Caterpillar on Aster: Melanchra adjuncta

1. Frankie says:

This looks like a Hitched Arches (Melanchra adjuncta).
    Ref: Owlet Caterpillars of Eastern North America (Wagner, Schweitzer, Sullivan, and Reardon)

Thanks Frankie,