Subject: moth in california
Location: riverside county california
October 27, 2013 7:09 am
This cute little moth lives in the san timoteo canyon stream bed. It is only around from late Sept through early November.
Signature: sue mc clure

Nevada Buck Moth

Nevada Buck Moth

Dear Sue,
This is a Buck Moth in the genus
Hemileuca, and we are nearly certain it is a Nevada Buck Moth, Hemileuca nevadensis, based on its color, markings and location of sighting.  Different species of Buck Moths are found throughout North America, and the common name is a reference to the flight time of the adults, which roughly coincides with deer hunting season in many parts of the country.  You can find additional information on the Nevada Buck Moth on BugGuide.  Though the following information from BugGuide refers to a different species of Buck Moth, we believe it also applies to your Nevada Buck Moth:  “Forewing and hindwing black with narrow white bands. Tip of abdomen red in males, black in females.  Said to fly rapidly at mid-day through oak forests. ”  Those do appear to be oak leaves on the ground in your photograph.

Nevada Buck Moth

Nevada Buck Moth

Wow! Thank you so much for getting back to me. Now I will enjoy my little Buckies all the more. They are hanging out not around Oak trees but Cottonwoods in the river bed. They have been very busy this last week- I am thinking perhaps they are laying eggs for next year’s crop. Thank you again for that very quick reply. I have been looking for an answer for 3 years now… I appreciate your time and expertise! sue

Location: Riverside, California