Subject: Madagascar insect
Location: Madagascar
October 27, 2013 5:08 am
Hi Daniel.
I’m just back from Madagascar and the variety of insects is amazing. Usually I can kinda guess the general category of what I’m looking at but a few Madagascar insects have me stumped including the attached. I begin to wonder is it really an insect at all. It was moving along the ground very slowly in a squirming manner like a snake. It made no attempt to fly as we got closer to it.
David.
Signature: David

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

Hi David,
We always think of Madagascar as Ground Zero for exotic specimens, so we were amused to see your attached images of a Mole Cricket.  While the representative of the genus in Madagascar might be a unique, indigenous species, Mole Crickets are found all over the world.  In the last week we have posted letters with a Mole Cricket from Spain and one of a Mole Cricket from Australia.  Other relatively recent examples include a Mole Cricket from South Africa, a Mole Cricket from France, a Mole Cricket from India, a Mole Cricket from Iraq and countless examples of Mole Crickets from North America.  Mole Crickets live underground and they use their front legs, which your photograph beautifully illustrates, to tunnel quickly through the soil.  We hope you have other nice exotica to send our way from Madagascar.

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

Location: Madagascar

One Response to Mole Cricket from Madagascar

1. davegball@gmail.com says:

Thanks so much Daniel. I should have guessed that something so unusual would be ID’d quickly. 🙂 … and yes I do have plenty more photos of Madagascar insects to send through to you.