Subject: What kind of katydid is this?
Location: Central Ohio
I took this picture of a katydid on my screen door. He was eating small insects. When I googled red-eyed katydid, the sites I found identified it as a red-eyed devil katydid. However, everything I’ve read on the Internet places them in Texas. I live in Ohio. Is this a different kind of katydid or is this a rare sighting?
He also occasionally rubbed his head with his foot, the way a cat does when it’s washing its face. Why would he do this?
Signature: Bug Friend

Common Meadow Katydid

Common Meadow Katydid

Dear Bug Friend,
You are correct that this is not a Red Eyed Devil.  We believe we have correctly identified it as one of the Greater Meadow Katydids, possibly a Common Meadow Katydid,
Orchelimum vulgare, thanks to this image posted to BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “Rather small for an Orchelimum. Has a rather plain green face, not mottled like most others of its genus. Eyes red. Typically (?) long-winged. Has two black lines on “dorsal shield”. See Internet references for details on keying by cerci of male.” This Greater Meadow Katydid is actually a female, not a male.  The curved sickle-like ovipositor is the indication she is a female.  Katydids and other insects often groom their antennae to keep debris from interfering with their sensory abilities. 

Location: Ohio