Subject: Caterpillar identification
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
October 23, 2013 12:40 am
I am hoping that you are able to please assist me in identifying a caterpillar that we have found in the garden. It is on our grape vine and about the width and size of your index finger. We are currently halfway through spring.
We live in South Australia, and are puzzled as to what sort it is and have spent endless hours trawling the internet.
Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Signature: Joanne

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Hi Joanne,
We believe we have correctly identified your Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar,
Hippotion celerio, thanks to this identification on the Natural History Museum website and this photo from Project Noah.  One of the best places to learn more about the Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar is the Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic website.

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Location: Adelaide, South Australia

8 Responses to Vine Hawkmoth Caterpillar from Australia

1. In recent weeks, we have found 3 green Vine Hawkmoth caterpillars in our garden in Maida Vale WA, on our backdoor step courtesy of our retriever – barking & growling at them [presumably in an attempt to warn us of them!] Does anybody know what the adult moth looks like, please?

Thanks.

2. Can anybody tell me if the colour of the Vine Hawkmoth caterpillar depend according to sub-specie, or if it is a matter of what it is currently feeding on; or it’s age/maturity? I’ve seen photos of both green or brown caterpillars but the moth itself would seem to be basically brown.
    Curious!

Thank you; NB

In our opinion, the coloration is individual variation as individuals feeding on the same plant can often be colored or marked differently.

3. jake&maxx says:

Found one in our back yard in QLD. Rosewood.

4. Kristy says:

Does anyone know if they use that stinger at the back? Or does it just look scary!

5. Michelle Morseu says:

Found one inside our house!!! Don’t know how he got inside!!! Queensland HERVEY Bay!