Subject: Orange spider
Location: West Chester, PA
October 23, 2013 6:48 am
I saw this orange spider in a park in West Chester, Pennsylvania on October 22, 2013. I took the picture.
Signature: Lisa

Pumpkin Spider

Pumpkin Spider

Hi Lisa,
Your spider is a harmless Orbweaver, most likely the Marbled Orbweaver,
Araneus marmoreus, a species with highly variable coloration.  Many individuals are orange, and the spiders mature in the fall, right around Halloween, so they are frequently called Pumpkin Spiders.  See BugGuide for additional information on the Marbled Orbweaver.

Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

6 Responses to Pumpkin Spider

1. Randy Unger says:

My daughter has seen one of these spiders in her driveway. She lives in Kempton Indiana, she spotted this spider on October 23, 2015.

2. Becky says:

I just spotted one of these today on my driveway. I live southwest of Indianapolis, indiana

3. Erica says:

I spotted one of these today on break at lunch. It was hiding in the leaves, crawled out and made its way beside the building. It moved slow but steady. I work in Wauseon, Ohio.

4. cosondra mahoney says:

this spider scared me I had no idea what it was and when I looked it up I saw that some people said it was poisenus and some say it is harmless. on the other hand it is funny that it is October the 22 2016 and it looks like a pumpkin!

5. Melanie says:

Found on on my house. I live in northeast Pennsylvania. It’s October 9th.