Subject: Family Meloidae
Location: Kuching, Malaysia
Hello Bugman,
I found this beetle a few years ago (2009?) before I was very interested in entomology. At the time I just thought it looked cool and took a picture. I was on a mission trip in Kuching, Malaysia. Now that I am studying entomology in college I have been more motivated to identify this beetle. I’m thinking that it is in the family Meloidae and the genus Horia. What do you think?
(I am resending this email because I am afraid the last one I sent did not have the picture attached. Sorry.)
Signature: Shiloh

Blister Beetle:  Horia species

Blister Beetle: Horia species

Hi Shiloh,
Our first impression was that this must be a Leaf Beetle in the family Chrysomelidae, but we looked up your suggestion.  The legs on your beetle are quite distinctive, but unfortunately, the photo is not ideal for revealing that feature.  We found a photo of a preserved specimen of
Horia roepkei on Meloidae.com, but we cannot say for certain it is the same species.  There are some wonderful photos on Wikipedia (not our first choice for citing) and they look remarkably like your image.  If we are trusting Wikipedia, then we believe you are correct.  We still wish you had a photo that showed the interesting features of this beetle a little better.  The World of Insects also has a photo that looks similar.

Location: Malaysia