Subject: large brown moth
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
October 19, 2013 9:10 am
This moth appeared on the wall of my sun porch 2 days ago and hasn’t moved. I live in Southeast Texas on the gulf Coast. Can you please tell me what it is? Also, what does it eat and is it drawn to light like other moths?
Thank you for your help!
Signature: Brenda from Texas

Black Witch

Black Witch

Hi Brenda,
Despite being a male, this Black Witch would not be called a warlock, and it is just a bit too early for Halloween.  Black Witch moths often fly up from Mexico at the start of the rainy season there, and that roughly coincides with our autumn months.

Location: Texas

One Response to Black Witch: Early for Halloween

1. Tracey Conwell says:

Just buzzed by 7 in black witch landed next to me eye level. I live in Houston Heights. He landed on brick that is 3 inches wide running courses so his wingspan had to exceed 6 inches. Looked like 7 to me.as it overlapped.about an inch. Black lacey wings and very dark eyes seemed almost furry for some.reason. stayed next to me long time til I walked away. Thought at first was a bat when it flew around my head and then landed. Weird. Biggest moth I’ve ever seen! And bold…