Subject: unwanted house guest
Location: northeast Alabama
October 17, 2013 6:48 am
I have been finding these little guys every morning for about two Weeks. They will be lying at random places throughout the house. The first few I thought (ah,a bug got in from outside.) Now finding four to five every morning i’m thinking (uh, we got a problem). They resemble a false blister beatle, but have orange legs along with the orange neck. With a black body and black head and long orangish antennas. And measure about an inch long. Any help would be appreciated.
Signature: unhappy hostess

False Bombardier Beetle

False Bombardier Beetle

Dear unhappy hostess,
As unwanted visitors go, you could do much worse than this False Bombardier Beetle.  According to BugGuide, the False Bombardier Beetles in the genus
Galerita:  “eat other insects, especially caterpillars.”  BugGuide also notes they are found in:  “Open woodlands, under stones, leaves. Come to lights, sometimes wander into houses.”  Perhaps you have a light near where they are finding access and you should consider keeping that light off at night.  False Bombardier Beetles do possess chemical defenses, but they pose no serious threat to humans or pets.

Subject: Found it!
October 19, 2013 9:29 am
Found it, False Bombardier Beetle. Makes sense.
Your website was the only thing I found helpful!!!
Warmly,
Signature: Kim E.

Thank you!  I actually had figured it out after sending you this message thanks to your page. It was the only page I found helpful! Thanks again so much!

Location: Alabama

10 Responses to False Bombardier Beetle

1. John Dahm says:

I found one false bombardier inside my house one evening. Located in south central Iowa.

2. NW Tenn says:

I find at least one False Bombardier Beetle in the house a day. They look creepy and are rather annoying. Besides keeping a possible light off at night where they might be sneaking in at, what else can I do to keep them outside?

3. Regina L Sullivan says:

Just found one crawling on my arm here in East Central Indiana. They are hard to squash.

4. Judi Taylor says:

I have several in my converted basement home in Kansas, but their legs are black. Is it the same bug or different but related? (How do I upload a picture?) Thanks.

5. Mita says:

I found one today and I am planning to release it into my vegetable garden in hopes that it will eat any destructive pests there.

6. Neely says:

Let me just start by saying yes, I am one of those people with an irrational phobia of bugs! My first encounter was a few days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to one of these crawling up my neck into my hair(literal worst nightmare). Then there was one just wondering around in my bathroom, then another today. Do they normally bother humans this much! I can’t even find where they are getting in the house. So besides calling an exterminator I’m not sure what else I can do.

7. Penny says:

I keep finding them in my basement (finished walkout) but there are no lights on EXCEPT for my husband’s grow lights in the unfinished part of the basement. Could that somehow be attracting them?

I find one or two per day.

8. Abigail Lopez says:

one crawled in my face while i was sleeping just now 😐 drowned it in rubbing alcohol.