Subject: St. Kitts and nevis tarantula
Location: St. Kitts and Nevis West Indies
October 14, 2013 10:54 am
Hey there. Found this in my garden at home on nevis Island Antilles. It was already dead but was big. Hairy. Wolf like long hair.
Signature: Ryan

What Killed the Tarantula???

What Killed the Tarantula???

Hi Ryan,
This is one impressive Tarantula.  We wonder what killed it.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to identify the species.  Do you ever see living Tarantulas in the West Indies???

Dead Tarantula

Dead Tarantula

No I haven’t yet,  but I’ve only lived here for the past month.  There have been articles in the paper of people in basseterre, St.  Kitts finding upwards of 10 inside their house.  Alive.  People speculate it was because of a grassy field being excavated close to these homes and the spiders were forced out.  I believe mine may have died from unpredictable high amounts of rainfall.  It was found in a spot that may have flooded fast. To fast for the Spider to get away without drowning. But that is only my guess.