Subject: Giant mosquito! (seriously!)
Location: Houston, TX
October 15, 2013 2:19 am
Walked up to my front door on the west side of Houston, TX at 3 am, and the temperature was 23°C. Heard a loud buzzing, similar to a mosquito’s (but louder). Spotted it, and watched it land on a bush, so I swatted it in the attempt to stun it. Insect is still alive in these photos, but I think I did more than stun it. Insect is flying, is almost exactly 1 inch in length, has a sucker that seemingly could be a proboscis (did not wait around to see if it bites), however it didn’t seem to have any interest in biting me.
Thanks for your time, and I hope I haven’t discovered a mutant mosquito.
Signature: Hunter Mallette

Robber Fly

Robber Fly

Dear Hunter,
This is a predatory Robber Fly in the subfamily Dasypogoninae which contains the Hanging Thieves in the genus
Diogmites as well as other similar looking genera.  Hanging Thieves get their name because they often hang from a single leg while feeding.  It looks somewhat like this Diogmites angustipennis pictured on BugGuide.

Thank you for your time and insight. I’m always finding interesting bugs and have the hardest time identifying them. You’ve saved me a great deal of frustration, and satisfied my curiosity.
Thank you,
Hunter

Location: Houston, Texas

One Response to Robber Fly

1. Andy Berryhill says:

I found one in Louisiana