Subject: Very weird white bugs
Location: San Jose, California, US
October 14, 2013 11:49 am
My daughter found those little guys on a bush near our home. Initially I didn’t even recognize them as bugs – they looked that strange. I searched all over the net for ”weird white bugs”, ”white and brown larvae”, and anything else I could think of, but as you can probably guess this didn’t help at all…
Any idea what this might be – can you point me in the right direction?
Regards,
Signature: Alex

Cottony Cushion Scale

Cottony Cushion Scale

Dear Alex,
The good news is we can identify your bug, and the bad news is that you have an infestation of Cottony Cushion Scale.
  For advice on how to control the Cottony Cushion Scale, you can try the UC Davis Integrated Pest Management System where it states:  “Cottony cushion scale, Icerya purchasi, can infest a number of woody ornamentals and certain crops (Figure 1). Common hosts in California are citrus, cocculus, nandina, and pittosporum. Its cottony egg sac and profuse honeydew production make cottony cushion scale easy to spot in the landscape.”

Cottony Cushion Scale

Cottony Cushion Scale

Location: San Jose, California