Ed. Note:  October 14, 2013
This comment arrived today from Lauri, and we decided to make it a unique posting.

No doubt in my mind, it’s a tick. When you start to deal with a tick infestation, it can be confusing because they have 3 distinct and very different manifestations, four if you count the egg stage and five if you count engorged adult separately. Infestation is a real problem because the engorged female will crawl off into some dark space to lay a ton of eggs. They don’t hatch for a few weeks, so just when you think you’ve licked them, the tiny hatchlings, very very small and hard to see with out a magnifying glass, will start the cycle again. They feed, then crawl away to change into a nymph then feed again then crawl off to turn into an adult… The two photos presented above show a young adult (I think) and an engorged female who may have laid eggs. After she lays the eggs, her job is done and she Shrivels up and dies. That’s what the adults do; feed, engorge, mate and lay eggs. I wish I didn’t know so much about them, and I really wish I had a cure all miracle for getting rid of the demons, but I don’t. The only real cure is to make sure your animals aren’t breakfast and lunch and you are not dinner. I love a tick remedy called certifect. It has amitraz in it and that chemical can be hard on dogs and should not be used on cats, but it kills any ticks that bite the dogs. It’s been the ONLY dog tick treatment that has worked for us. And clean the room, rooms, house and in my case, boat with a fine tooth brush. They crawl upwards if they can. Check curtains and behind wall outlets. Vacumn and then vacumn again and then vacumn every day for a couple of weeks. Dont miss window sills, behind headboards and dressers. Make sure you empty the vacumn cleaner bag into a sealed plastic bag before you toss or you will be spreading the herd. And of course, check the mattress and wash all linens in hot water. I realize the above post was a few years ago, but there’s so little info online that I thought I might be able to help someone else get rid of these blood sucking pests.
Lauri

Hi Lauri,
Thanks for your helpful information on Tick control  Creating a unique posting from your comment illustrated with photos from our archive will make this much more accessible for our readers.

2 Responses to Advice on Eradicating Ticks

1. Ellen says:

Thank you for posting Lauri’s comment! The tick photos are freaking me out!
    We treat our dogs monthly with preventative meds purchased from our veterinarian. The specific meds have changed over time according to new/improved medications available; our vet is excellent and keeps us current with the best meds to use for our dogs. I urge all dog owners to consult with their vets and protect their pets from fleas and ticks.
    Our boys have thankfully never had fleas or ticks, and we live in an area populated by both tame and feral cats and dogs, as well as foxes, coyotes, deer, raccoons, squirrels, wood rats… many flea and tick bearing animals. I attribute our dogs’ pest-free status to our diligent use of the monthly preventative meds.
    Ticks can carry and spread Lyme disease, a terrible illness for both dogs and humans.
    Center for Disease Control information: http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/

You are most welcome Ellen. Keeping all animals that go outdoors treated will help to ensure that folks will not ever have to deal with an infestation in the home.