Subject: Fast-running insect
Location: Costa Rica, Alajuela
Firstly, hello! this is my first submission after quite a while of reading the site :); anyway, to the important stuff, today when i was going to wash the dishes like usual, i saw this little fella in the sink trying to get out, no idea how it got there if the first place, and while i dont like bugs as much, im not a fan of killing things unless they are trying to viciously murder me too.
So i just took some pictures to see if you guys can identify it for me, then when i tried capture it with a tiny bag to set it free, as soon as i got it out of the sink it jumped and ran into the freedom of my backyard.
After getting on my laptop to check the pictures(and be surprised of the quality of my crappy phone!) i saw it has a huge pair of teeth or something! hopefully you know if its dangerous.
Thanks from Costa rica!
Signature: Andres

House Centipede

House Centipede

Hi Andres,
This is a House Centipede in the family Scutigeridae.  We have been saying for years that the North American species,
Scutigera coleoptrata, is perfectly harmless.  House Centipedes are proficient nocturnal hunters that will help control undesirable species like Cockroaches.  We have recently conceded that large House Centipedes might be capable of biting humans, though that rarely happens, and the bite would have no serious consequences.  Bug Eric has a wonderful posting on House Centipedes.

Location: Costa Rica