Subject: Trapdoor Species I.D
Location: South Okanagan, BC, Canada
I have identified this to be a male Trapdoor Spider but am interested in getting more info with regards to the particular species. This one was very aggressive and jumpy, was hard to trap and when I put a BBQ skewer stick into the jar to get some good body pics and get him moving, the spider launched itself at it, clamped on with its fangs and would not let go.
I was able to lift his entire body up to the rim of the jar, approx 12” while he hung on with his fangs. I found the spider making its way into my house at 4:30am, he attempted to run inside once I opened the door. While trying to place a jar over him, he reared and made small charging attempts at the jar with his fangs extended. I have several more pictures if you need more to properly identify this spider. Thanks!
Signature: Luiza

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Hi Luiza,
We are very late and haven’t any time to research this at this moment, but we are posting your photos and we hope to get some input from our readership today.  Your photos should be very helpful for identification purposes.

Ed. Note October 14, 2013:  This spider somewhat resembles the Wafer-Lid Trapdoor Spiders in the genus Aptostichus as pictured on BugGuide.

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Trapdoor Spider

Location: Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada