Subject: More Emperor Butterflies
Location: Coryell County, Texas
The butterflies are thick in our neighbor’s yard. Her hedge and trees must be delicious to them. She kindly said I can take as many photos as I’d like. 🙂
Thankfully for them, these butterflies have escaped the birds so far.
I believe these are the same species of Emperor, perhaps Tawny Emperor, if not the same individual?
Thank you!
Signature: Ellen

Emperor

Tawny Emperor

Hi Ellen,
This latest batch of photos is quite exceptional.  These are perfect specimens, unlike the traumatized individuals you sent in the past few days.  Tell us, do you get Emperors every year or is this a significant event?  We agree that this appears to be a Tawny Emperor.  According to BugGuide:  “Similar to Hackberry Emperor, but rusty-brown above, darker below. Has small irridescent patches instead of eyespots below.”

Emperor

Tawny Emperor

Location: Coryell County, Texas

2 Responses to Tawny Emperors

1. Ellen says:

Thank you, Daniel!
    These butterflies are so quiet and intent on feeding and sunning that I’m able to get within inches of them with a shorter lens on the camera.
    The Emperors are new to me, but I suspect that I just haven’t been observant.
    I tried looking on the Internet, but have been unable to find information on whether or not we have record numbers of Emperors this year.
    We’ve had some life-giving rains and milder-than-usual temperatures this summer and fall, and our area is unusually green and lush this October. Perhaps we have a bumper crop of Emperors as a consequence.
    I’ll watch for the Emperors in the future to see if we have them each year.
    Thank you!