Subject: Bug ID needed
Location: Northeast Wisconsin
We live in NE Wisconsin and after a full day of rain there are these tiny, tiny black bugs crawling along the siding and cement patio. They don’t fly, but they do smell. When you try to sweep them up, they swarm back together. They constantly look like a black spot is moving. I tried hosing them down, but they don’t seem to drown. I tried sweeping them away from the water and drying them out in the sun with no luck. I don’t want them in the house.
What to do and what are they?
Signature: Chris

Springtails

Springtails

Hi Chris,
It is impossible to make out individual creatures in your photos, but we believe these are Springtails, primitive hexapods that often appear in prodigious numbers when conditions are ideal.  They like damp conditions.  Springtails are benign creatures that can become a nuisance if they are plentiful.  They help to break down organic matter and they are actually beneficial. 

Springtails

Springtails

Location: Wisconsin