Subject: Help! Bug Showed Up.
Location: Bend Oregon
Can you help me identify what this bug is. I just showed up and there are hundreds of them on my front porch. They don’t bite but are a bother.
Signature: Jason

Dirt Colored Seed Bug:  Rhyparochromus vulgaris

Dirt Colored Seed Bug: Rhyparochromus vulgaris

Hi Jason,
Whenever a person is suddenly troubled with large numbers of small insects that we don’t recognize, we suspect an invasive, exotic species, and in your instance, our instincts were correct.  This is a Dirt Colored Seed Bug,
Rhyparochromus vulgaris, and it is a relatively recent introduction to the Pacific Northwest.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “native to Europe, recently introduced to NA (Seattle, WA area)” and “earliest NA record: WA 2001; since 2003, large congregations have been reported in nw. WA; expected to spread to BC.”  BugGuide also mentions that these Dirt Colored Seed Bugs are found:  “on the ground and on tree trunks; tends to congregate around buildings late in the season seeking shelter.”  The government shutdown has negatively impacted our ability to link to any information provided by the Department of Agriculture (USDA) as they are deemed not essential at this time.  British Bugs has some information, including:  “The London records are from dry grasslands; this species seems much more of a generalist than R. pini, which is mainly found on heathland in the south-east.  Adults overwinter, mating in the spring. The new generation is complete from late July onwards.”  Now we are wondering if the Dirt Colored Seed Bug nymphs from Montana we posted some time back might be  Rhyparochromus vulgaris.

Location: Bend, Oregon

One Response to Non-Native Dirt Colored Seed Bug: Rhyparochromus vulgaris

1. Andre Ruoti says:

2019 I too have an infiltration of these “seed bugs” here in NW Idaho. I’ve recently received a report from the Entomology Dept at UofI, Moscow, ID that identified the bugs I sent in as such. Not a biting bug just annoying. They are prevalent in my home thruout the winter on the floor, walls, furniture, and seem attracted to water in my kitchen. I collect them and dispose of them and upon reccomendation I will exterminate them this fall when they attempt to re-enter my home. I am opposed to poisons, in as much as, I feed and attract birds, bees, and butterflies so I’ll do my research first