Subject: ”Deja Vu All Over Again” – Yogi Berra
Location: Coryell County
I couldn’t believe it. I returned to the neighbors’ red-tip photinia hedge today to see if yesterday’s damaged Emperor butterfly was still there. No, it was gone… but a second damaged butterfly had taken its place. I think this one might be a different kind of Emperor, perhaps a Hackberry Emperor? (The neighbors have a hackberry tree about 20 feet from this shrub.)
A cool front blew in today, and this butterfly was sheltering from the north wind. It never fanned its wings or moved while I was there.
While I took a few photos, the mockingbird was singing again from the shrubbery, just yards away. Hmmm…
Frankly, I’m a little weirded out by it all, and I’m not going to check the shrubbery tomorrow.
Thank you for all of your help identifying the various insect and for providing so much insight into their behavior.
Signature: Ellen

Emperor Butterfly

Emperor Butterfly

Hi again Ellen,
Thank you for sending further documentation that the eyespots on the wings of the Emperor Butterflies might help to save them from bird attacks.

Location: Coryell County, Texas