Subject: Solomon Islands Butterfly
Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands
Our family has recently enjoyed watching a couple of beautiful caterpillars make their homes and emerge as butterflies. We’re wondering if you can help us identify them. The caterpillar is black and white striped with red ”horns”. The chrysalis begins as a bright yellow but turns into a shiny gold when it matures, and the butterfly is black with a few blue spots on the lower end of the wings. Thanks!
Signature: Celloduo

Milkweed Butterfly Caterpillar

Milkweed Butterfly Caterpillar

Dear Celloduo,
We are pretty certain this is a Milkweed Butterfly Caterpillar and Chrysalis from the subfamily Danainae, but we have not had much luck identifying the species.  We thought it might be a Blue Tiger Butterfly, but when we researched the caterpillar on Butterfly House, though it looked similar, it was obviously different.  Though the caterpillar and chrysalis of
Euploea core, the Common Crow or Oleander Butterfly which is pictured on Butterfly House also looks similar, it is also obviously different.

Milkweed Butterfly Chrysalis

Milkweed Butterfly Chrysalis

Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in a species identification.

Milkweed Butterfly Chrysalis

Milkweed Butterfly Chrysalis

Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands

One Response to Milkweed Butterfly Caterpillar and Chrysalis from Solomon Islands

1. Manuel says:

To me it looks like the caterpillar belonging to the genus Euploea, also known as crows, but I don’t know which species exactly as there is over 50 of them distributed in the australian and pacific region. Cheers, Manuel