Subject: Identify this bug please
Location: India ,Delhi
October 3, 2013 6:21 am
The Attached bug species invading my vegetable vines and sucks on the vegetable sap on the wines.can you help identify this ?they come in hundreds….
Signature: Usha

Unknown True Bug

Red Pumpkin Bugs

Hi Usha,
This is some species of True Bug in the suborder Heteroptera, which contains many species that are injurious to cultivated plants.  We will post your images and try to determine the species.

Thank you for your feedback. Await more inputs if you can get more details.
You are absolutely right. It is a true bug. Most of my vegetable vines have withered after the onslaught by these bugs. Has a distinct stink. So birds avoid the bugs.
Will appreciate more inputs from you and any inputs on eradication of these pests. For you information I grow organic vegetables in my small farm in Noida near New  Delhi, India. Therefore do not use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
Regards,
Usha

Unknown True Bug

Red Pumpkin Bug

Thanks to a reader comment, we can now provide links to the Red Pumpkin Bug, Aspongopus janus, on Project Noah and India Biodiversity.

Location: Delhi, India

2 Responses to Red Pumpkin Bug from India

1. sccabrian says:

Hi bug people! I believe this may be Aspongopus janus in the family Pentatomidae. They are known to feed on plants in the families Cucurbitaceae (gourds), Fabaceae, Malavaceae (includes Okra, cotton, and many others), and Solanaceae (Tomato, eggplant, capsicum, potato, etc). There’s a good bit of information online in the form of Google Books that I can’t figure out how to link to. anyhow, good luck with your vegetable garden!