Subject: Beautiful White Moth
Location: Coryell County, Texas
Is this a Giant Leopard Moth?
I saw it quite by accident as the dogs and I were leaving our porch-sitting session tonight. It climbed from the lighted window up to the eaves, where it was stopped by the fascia board, and it walked back and forth, left, right, left, until I placed a stationary dead branch in front of it. Ugh, in the dark I didn’t notice that the branch was so sharp, but the moth was careful as it climbed aboard.
After a short photo session, I wedged the branch into a live tree, and the moth has since either climbed or flown away.
The leg joints, part of its face, and its antennae shone blue in the flash.
Here is a Bug Guide link, and I saw some lovely photos on your website. This one looks a little different from the moths I saw on the guides, so I’m not certain if it’s a Giant Leopard or not.
What a beauty!
Thank you for all of your help!

Signature: Ellen
Part 2: Here is the Bug Guide link to what might be a Giant Leopard Moth:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/493
I’ve included a few of the flash photos that show a hint of the Blue on Black (ref: awesome Kenny Wayne Shepherd song 😉
Thank you!
Signature: Ellen

Giant Leopard Moth (shot with flash)

Giant Leopard Moth (shot with flash)

Hi Ellen,
Your are correct that this is a Giant Leopard Moth.  We are using one of the flash photo to illustrate this posting.

Location: Coryell County, Texas