Subject: Robber Fly?
Location: Linden, Virginia
Could you please identify the fly in the attached photographs? I think it may be some type of robber fly. I saved this one from my dogs’ wading pool and later saw a similar fly eating a stink bug. It is well worth having these flies around if they prey on stink bugs! Thanks for looking!
Signature: Lynn

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Hi Lynn,
Your family identification of this Robber Fly is correct.  More specifically it is a Red Footed Cannibalfly or Bee Panther, Promachus rufipes, and as you are aware, it is an impressive insect.  We are happy to hear they are preying upon the Stink Bugs in your vicinity, which we suspect are most likely the invasive Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs.  Because of your kindness in rescuing this Red Footed Cannibalfly, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.  See BugGuide for additional information on the Red Footed Cannibalfly.

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Thank you so much for identifying my fly.  He was very cool!  🙂

Location: Linden, Virginia