Subject: Eggs on deer netting
Location: Northeastern Massachusetts
Many groups of eggs have been deposited on my deer netting this year. I’d like to know what kind of insect they are. For size reference, the netting is one-half inch per square.
I live in northeastern Massachusetts. Groups of eggs were deposited throughout this summer. The photo shows one group, but there are about a hundred groups over 30 feet of netting. The colors are various shades of beige to medium brown. Several groups have either hatched or been eaten. I have been using using deer netting for 4 years, but this is the first year for eggs.
Signature: Pam

Eggs on Fence

Eggs on Fence

Hi Pam,
We can’t say for certain what type of eggs these are, but our initial guess is Moth Eggs of some type.  Perhaps one of our readers will have an idea.

Possibly Moth Eggs

Possibly Moth Eggs

More information:  The deer netting with the egg clusters is in full sun.  The netting that is in partial shade has no eggs.  Thanks for your help!

Location: massachusetts

9 Responses to Possibly Moth Eggs on Deer Fence

1. dorwageld@aol.com says:

I found a cluster of very similar-looking eggs on a milkweed leaf last week here in northern-ish Illinois, and I *think* I may have ID’ed mine as Pearly Underwing or Variegated Cutworm eggs (Peridroma saucia). What do you think? -Dori

2. Ian says:

I am also in northeast Massachusetts and have had the exact same issue this year. I found some caterpillars in the soil earlier in the year, so Dori’s guess in the above comment seems sensible to me.

3. Cindy says:

Hi! (2016)
    I am up in Northern Ontario near Lake Huron and have similar egg clusters on deck netting!
    No idea… Guess it will be a surprise and hopefully a good one.
    Cindy

4. Mhaire says:

I have a similar cluster of whitish eggs on monofilament fishing line, used to deter deer, Salish Sea area of Olympic Peninsula, WA.

5. Nataschaa chatterton says:

Has one found out what they are?? I have them on my fence as well. Although, they only seem to go on the black fence not on the metal one.

6. Lisa says:

I have them as well in Eatonville, WA. All over my bird netting.

7. Liza says:

I have the exact same thing in Eugene/Springfield area of Oregon. I saw some of the hatched larvae. The were some kind of gray inchworm or looper. I have no idea what species.

8. Jane says:

We have them on our black volleyball net, mostly in the sun. Some are a light brownish-gray, some are white.

9. Diana says:

We have them all over our deer netting here on Vancouver Island in Canada. I’m pretty sure they can’t be good – have heard that they are army worms. Rather than trying to wash them off, we have been spray painting the lines of them as they turn up. Works just fine and they don’t hatch.