Subject: Lives with me, need ID! Mantis.
Location: San Jose, CA USA
September 17, 2013 12:03 am
Hey Bugman! My name is Becky and I have an insect page on facebook called Go Ahead, BUG me. Do I know you? 🙂
Last week on my birthday a mantis flew into our backyard at night and the dog sort of got it but I rescued the cutie. He now has a nice enclosure, lots of food and lives with me…
Only problem is, I want to know what type he is! I post mantis photos all the time on my site but the mantis are usually exotic looking ones. Can you help me with my mantis Andy?
Location: San Jose, CA. Came in due to moths flying at light out back door I think. But we do have lavendar bushes and tomato plants. We also have avacodo trees all around the yard. This is the first mantis I have EVER seen in my yard.
He is about 2 inches and he can fly somewhat. His eyes are dark brown, almost black. Oh, he also has a black dot on his armpit.
I have some photos.
By the way, I am here too much to admit. I love this site and have learned so much from every single post I read! Thanks for such … AMAZING!
~Becky
Signature: Becky Randal

Male California Mantis

Male European Mantis

Hi Becky,
Thanks for the compliments.  So many Mantids found in North American Gardens are introduced species, that it is refreshing to get photos of native Mantids.  We are nearly certain this is a male California Mantis, Stagmomantis californica, and you can find more information on it on BugGuide
where it states:  “Males fly well, and often come to lights, presumably when they are dispersing. Females are more sedentary.”

Male California Mantis

Male European Mantis

Correction:  October 14, 2013
Draco just wrote in to correct us by informing us that this is a European Mantis.

Location: San Jose, California

2 Responses to European Mantis we believe

1. Dracus says:

Sorry to disappoint, but it’s a male of European mantis (Mantis religiosa), an introduced species. You can see black spots at the base of its coxae, which is characteristic for this species.