Subject: Unidentified Spider
Location: Perth, Western Australia
September 16, 2013 12:02 am
I would love an ID for this spider if possible – I think it is a Lynx spider, but having looked through various guides online, I can’t see a similar looking one? I found it on my cat’s scratching post on my verandah in Perth, Western Australia. Body length approx. 8-10mm.
It has an interesting mosaic pattern on the abdomen.
He was released unharmed after the photo 🙂
Many thanks
Tanya
Signature: Tanya

Possibly Male Orbweaver

Possibly Male Orbweaver

Hi Tanya,
The eye pattern on this spider looks most like that of the Orbweavers in the family Araneidae (see BugGuide).  The large pedipalps indicate this is a male spider.  The body pattern also reminds us of Orbweaver Spiders, so our initial guess is that this is some male Orbweaver, but we haven’t had any luck matching it to an images online.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with an ID.

Location: Perth, Western Australia

2 Responses to Possibly Male Orbweaver from Australia

1. Drhoz says:

Perhaps a Leucauge? They’re in the Tetragnathidae at the moment, but according to Rob Whyte at Arachne.org.au they’ve been shuffled between the orb-weavers and the tetragnaths repeatedly.

Leucauge granulata, for example, is the Roughened Silver Orbweaver