Subject: Black Swallowtails – male and female
Location: Naperville, IL
September 16, 2013 8:42 am
Hi Daniel~
I just had to send these to you. We’ve been raising Black Swallowtails this summer, and two beautiful butterflies eclosed yesterday, one male and one female. Unfortunately, it was raining all day, and I keep the butterflies overnight in a net (with fresh flowers, but they don’t typically feed on day 1), rather than release them in the rain. This morning, it was a bit chilly, but bright and sunny, so I placed them first on a Norfolk pine in the shade, where they remained very cooperative during our photo shoot. Then I moved them to a crabapple tree in the sun, where they stayed for five minutes, warming up before flying off.
Have a beautiful week!
Signature: Dori Eldridge

Pair of Black Swallowtails (male on left)

Hi Dori,
It is so wonderful having this side by side comparison of a male and female Black Swallowtail.  The male has more yellow spots while the female has more blue on her hindwings.  We decided we were finally going to go outside to plant the lavender and artemesia we bought yesterday, but we needed to make just one more posting when we saw your submission.  Thanks for sending us your excellent photos.

Pair of Black Swallowtails (female on left)

Location: Naperville, Illinois